If you plan or interested to visit Jeju island on your own, I will strongly recommend you to rent a car and drive it on your own. Driving around Jeju Island is really enjoyable and easy, as you can stop by the road side to admire the scenery and relax to savor the beauty.
There is a lot of routes that you can take in Jeju. If you take the time to explore the routes from one city to the other, you will find even more gorgeous views, bits of culture, and astonishing landmarks. The most important thing if you are driving in Jeju is to have a reliable map that can show you the location of every sightseeing. It can helps you a lot on planning your journey, which routes that best suites your plan, especially when you have limited time to explore this Island. Not only saving time, knowing which route to go will also saves you on fuel. Renting a car in Jeju might be cheap, but not the fuel.
- The 1131 highway on Jeju is a great road to travel along if you are going between Jeju City and Seogwipo City. Beginning in Jeju City you can visit the Samseonghyeol tourist site and then head up the mountain to check out the serenity of the Jeju Horse Grazing Field. Enjoy the views of Jeju City and the mountain foliage in the Forest Tunnel as you make your way to Seogwipo. Once you near Seogwipo, a short turnoff will take you to Donnaeko Waterfalls and inside the city you can enjoy the only waterfall in Asia that falls into the ocean at Jeongbang Falls. You may also stop for a while at Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market when approaching the city.
- The 1139 highway also is a great road to travel between Jeju City and Jungmun City. Starting from Jeju City, you may visit the Halla Arboretum, Jeju Museum of Art , and the famous Love Land. Check out the wonder of Mysterious Road and head up the mountain towards the Eorimok trail. On this road you can enjoy a beautiful view of the southern part of the island, Seogwipo’s Natural Forest.The road ended nearby Jungmun where you can proceed to visit the Cheonjeyeon Waterfall, Chocolate Land, Teddy Bear Museum and much more.
- The coastal route, the 1132 highway, which circles the island is my favourite driving route of all and makes for a spectacular scenery drive. You may take a detour at few numbers of coastal road scenery road around the island. Stops at Sunrise Peak (Seongsan Ilchulbong), Jeju Folk Village, Oedolgae, Sanbangsan, and Hallim Park will definitely result in a memorable road trip.
Follow the traffic rules and try not to speed in Jeju, lotsa speed cameras everywhere but don’t worry if you have gps because it will be constantly beeping to warn you. The maximum speed allowed in Jeju is just 80km/h, 50km/h at school area! Moreover, almost all bump locations in Jeju are updated in the Gps. What a good driving companion. Oh ya, Cars in Korea is left-hand drive. you need to have international driving license to drive in Jeju. For Malaysian, just pay rm150 at JPJ office and you would get it on the spot.
For both of my trip to Jeju, I rent it from KT-Kumho. Very reliable, cheap and convenient. Renting car from KT-Kumho
- Make online booking from it’s website. Do sign-up as their member, its free. They do provide lots of discount, even until 70 percent from normal price for member. You may choose your intended mode of transportation, duration and places to collect, and a booking receipt with reservation number with be given to you. You may also select additional features during your booking. Choose english gps and egg which is without any additional cost (free). The egg was actually wifi thing that allow you to connect to the internet in the car. Remember to get the full insurance coverage during your car booking with some additional fee. You don’t want to put yourself in risk since driving in other country especially if you are not familiar to drive in right traffic.
- Once you exits the arrival hall at the Jeju Airport, you can walk straight to the KT-Kumho booth. After showing the reservation slip, head to take their free shuttle bus just outside the airport to go to the car collection area which located just 10minutes rides away.
- At their office, you are required to make the full payment at the office before the car key is given to you. Payment by credit card is accepted. You will received all equipment and before you proceed to collect your rental car. After checking the car condition and signed a form, you now can start your journey in Jeju.
- To return the car, just drop the car at the same car collecting center. You need to fill in the fuel back to the limit that required (if not mistaken almost full tank) before you return the car. Don’t worry, there is a lot of petrol station nearby the car collection centre. They will check the car condition and after that you can take the free shuttle bus direct to the airport.